(#7) Long Day Planned for Tomorrow (I plan to sleep through it)

esophagectomy
Tomorrow is surgery. I just called in to get my time to report. I need to be at St. Mary’s admissions at 5:30 AM, so this will be short. I had several pre-surgical appointments today and a consult with my surgeon.  We kind of chuckled about how much time we’ll spend together tomorrow. He told me it can be as long as an 8 hour surgery. 

I do appreciate and need your prayers. My surgeon said he’s very glad for your prayers too. 

The other night I was listening to a recording of 2 of my favorite comedians (Jim Gaffigan and Stephen Colbert) on a Late Show interview. Both of them are unashamedly religious guys and talk about it openly. I respect that. Yet I heard a little twist in a joke about overusing the “prayerhands emoji” that sounded like – if you need prayer and people are offering you prayer, you must somehow be inadequate and a bit “less-than.”

I’ve got a different perspective. I honestly consider prayer essential and about the most important thing we can do in life.

Some of you have heard me preach this. “Human life was designed by the Designer to be lived in relationship with Him, and it just doesn’t work well any other way.” I genuinely believe that my existence

finds its purpose in my intimate personal connection with my Heavenly Father.  That’s how He created life to be lived. He never intended for us, or wanted for us, to have to go-it-alone and He loves you and loves me enough to desire engagement in every little detail of our lives. 

I’m unembarrassed and unashamed to ask you to pray for me and my medical team in tomorrow’s challenges and in the recovery period that will follow. My dependence upon God is not only what gives me courage for this challenge, my deepening dependence upon Him is the higher purpose God has for me going through it. 

Thanks for being my praying friends.

Comments

  1. With you already in prayer and will continue in the healing journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad I found this blog, Steve, so that I could let you know that I am one of your prayer warriors, praying for God's healing powers and for a feeling of peace for your family... Cindy Trapp

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know for a fact and through experiences that prayer works!!!! You will be covered in “peace” tomorrow. That’s one way God works!!! Amen. Love you Pastor!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jan and I have been praying for you (and Harriet too) these many weeks since you informed us of your cancer. We are praying today and will be throughout your recovery. You’re in good hands! Great surgeon, great God!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Continuing to pray for your recovery Steve and for Harriet and the rest of the family as they walk this journey with you. So glad we got to know you here in Brainerd.
    Chuck and Mary Droogsma

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

(#1)The New Adventure

(#8) Recovery Seems the Longest

(#17) Past Time for an Update