(#17) Past Time for an Update

Have you ever watched a 3 year-old who has both hands full of sweets trying and struggling to pick up just one more? There are dynamics in my life that seem a lot like that right now. I’m struggling to let go of several of life’s enjoyments in order to grasp a deeper, more intense relationship and go deeper with Jesus. What’s been happening might seem cruel, had God not let me see the 3 year-old. Let me explain.

I’ve received so many blessings in my life, that I now need space and capacity for what God intends for me now.

Had a great time at Bethel University Homecoming.
I'm told the banquet food was excellent 
Those who know me well also know that I’m somewhat of a foodie. I have loved the adventure of new flavors and exotic tastes. My daughters have often heard from me as I heard from my dad, “Try it. You might like it.” And usually I do. But chemo therapy has robbed me of a whole set of flavors. Nothing tastes right and even long favorites now have a bitter edge. My revised digestive system means I must eat small, and eat often which should be a gift to a foodie. But the taste of food and drink are mealtime disappointments.

Where's (Waldo) Steve?  Bethel Choir 1968
Some of you also know that I’m an active, analytical music listener. I started college intending to be a music teacher and have years of learning what and how to listen to melodies, harmonies, styles, tones, lyrics and meters. If there is music playing – even in an elevator – I’m listening, focused and loving it. But several months back while changing wheels on my bicycle, an innertube burst inches from my face. My hearing went dull and has not returned. My medical team thinks chemo is preventing healing that might have occurred, but higher tones are just missing – or worse - I hear overtones instead of the primary notes and a lot of gorgeous harmony has turned into frustrating discord.

Those are 2 of several of life’s enjoyments that right now, I just have to lay aside.

Have I been robbed? I’m sometimes tempted to think so. Or is it possible that God is helping me shift my attention? Do I need to lay some things down – so that I can pick others up? Could it be that I need to lay down things with temporary earthly value in order to gather in things of eternal duration and importance. 1 John 2:15 says “Do not love the world, or the things that are in the world.” I know that the context is about lower desires and sinful attitudes but could it include too intense an interest in good things too? Music and food are among God’s good gifts. But is it possible they’ve been distractive and that one of God’s grace gifts involves removing them so that I will focus more fully on Him? 

The metaphor of the 3 year old with hands too full to grab for better was quickly impactful. But Jesus actually revealed a better, fuller metaphor. John 15 – He told us that God (like a vine dresser) prunes the non-essential to make us more fruitful and useful for His glory. Not comfortable – but he never promised “comfortable.”  He promised that he would keep working with us until we are fully completed in a way that brings Him glory.

So how is treatment going?  Well the good-news is that chemo is effective against my particular cancer – reducing and shrinking it. The not-so-good news is that my body is not tolerating the chemicals well. Blood counts taken a day ahead of treatments are often too low, which delays treatment for a week and perhaps also requires reducing the dosage. My treatment schedule went from every two weeks to every three weeks. This past week (which would have been 3 weeks) was delayed till next week (the 4th week) again because of low blood counts. So that’s my prayer request; that my body would tolerate the treatments and that the schedule we are on would continue to diminish the cancer. God knows what He’s doing and He’s in charge of even my medical staff. He’s eager to hear our prayers and I’m thankful to know that you are praying for me during this challenging time..

Comments

  1. You are a big inspiration to me and many others. We look forward to your updates.
    Thank you for sharing your journey with us. I still have all of the Bible study papers you printed for me.
    Forever
    Rely
    On
    God
    May your days be What God intended for you and the SON will always shine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Pastor Steve: Thank you for sharing this journey. It has been so humbling for me to read your words of faithfulness in this storm that you have been in. May our Lord who is far and beyond all things continue to bless and keep you no matter what this cancer throws at you.
    Many blessings and love. Suzanne Huerta

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love you. I'm so grateful for you. I'm thanking God that you continue to teach others even in your difficult days. I'm praying for you. Tammy <><

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think back to my husband's last three weeks of life - and how He provided for my family as well as how he removed things. I wouldn't trade those three weeks for anything. So sacred and precious. Jeff was unaware of what was occuring but our family embraced the entirety. My journey now is to lean even harder into the Lord and allow Him to lead, to provide and to take away.
    My prayers to you and your family, Pastor Steve.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pastor Steve - I will continue to pray for you as you walk this journey. Thank you for sharing your heart with us. all!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Steve - As I have shared with you before, I have fond memories of singing tenor alongside you in the seminary men's chorus. Music is important to me as well, and I'm sorry to hear of your diminished ability to hear, analyze and appreciate the beauty of good music. May God's music bring you comfort and hope. May the song of loved ones' voices bring you joy. May the symphony of the prayers and support of friends bring you peace. Be blessed, even in these struggles, and know that many car about and love you. -- Fred Glasser

    ReplyDelete
  7. Steve: I continue to pray that God will choose to heal! I have such fond memories of our years at Bethel. We made some beautiful music together! Now I read that the enjoyment of music is gone. That's such a tragedy! I'll keep praying!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Steve—I appreciate you sharing... Reading this, I’m reminded of a great film called “Sound of Metal” that involves a musician suddenly losing his hearing & having to adapt & cope... It speaks to our remarkable potential for faith & recovery... The donut scene is a particular favorite of mine that I sometimes share with my writing students... Maybe you can add it to your list. I hope you are able to let go of whatever you may be holding, and stay open to what He wants you to receive in the moment... Sending big hugs & prayers from California... 🤗🕊 —kristen brosamer

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Pastor Steve,
    Thank you for sharing, you are and will always be my favorite Pastor and role model...Life continues on wonderful, crazy adventure.
    Prayers, strength and healing,
    Many blessing 🙏 💖..
    For He shows they way of Grace no matter the trials we encounter.
    Hugs, love 💕 and strength.
    Dennis Strander

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pastor Steve; We are praying for you and so appreciate your servant's heart, even in these challenging circumstances, you are choosing to honor God and guide us. May God continue to give you courage and wisdom on the journey. Love, Brad and Sherry Solstad

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jo and I have been praying for you daily since we learned of your illness. Please know that we are trusting the Lord alongside you, knowing He has it all under control. Darkness is as light to Him, the future as it has already happened, our destiny secure in His hands. I deeply wish we could have continued to walk together as you served as interim, for I enjoyed our conversations so much. Thank you for your courageous and insightful words. They are being stored in my heart and, I'm certain, in the hearts of many in preparation for our next challenges.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank again, Steve, for your vulnerability on this anything-but-fun journey. You continue to be in my prayers.
    Carol Dobson

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

(#1)The New Adventure

(#8) Recovery Seems the Longest