(#19)Long Overdue Update from Pastor Steve

It’s been way too long since I updated you friends on this Cancer Journey. Last week was one of those medically intense weeks.  Lots of tests and doctor’s appointments.  Tuesday was blood testing and echocardiogram and a visit with my Oncologist.  Previous week had been an ultrasound of my liver.  Yesterday I spent most of the afternoon in chemotherapy and I’ve dragged the chemo pack around till Friday.  The good news in the last four CT scans is that they have not shown the presence of any cancer.  There have been some challenges around liver enzymes from my blood tests.  Doctors haven’t figured out why those have been enzymes too high. Is it the affects of chemo, or has there been something more going on? The ultra sound showed no serious abnormalities in the liver which is also good news and my recent blood tests have shown enzyme improvement.


Didn't do the Superman,
but it caught my eye
Most of the time, I’m feeling quite good, though at times weak and frail.  Keeping weight on after my esophagectomy is a challenge… but hey, I get to eat lots of ice cream, sweet stuff and fatty stuff that most of you have to avoid. I need protein and calories – more and lots. So there is a silver lining!

Actually, there are many silver linings. In the midst of the physical struggles, God’s presence and mercy are sweetly wonderful, and I have extra time to lean hard into His grace and focus on intensifying my relationship with Him. I said to a friend a couple days back that I’ve had good days and God has been present and so good.  I’ve also had hard days, but in those, also, God has been present and good. I’ve been walking step by step with Jesus; experiencing moment by moment his resources for this battle. On days when it’s been extra hard, His closeness has been extra sweet.

Wow, what a season for Lilacs!
A year ago, I doubted I’d be here for this Spring. I love the smell of lilacs and flowering trees and in recent days they have exploded with glorious color and powerful aroma. I’m sure that heaven will be sweeter still, but in the meantime I’m enjoying life and the presence of Jesus in my life now.


Kim and I needed Borscht!
Learned the owners are actually Ukrainian.
I've been amazed how close our daughters have stayed through this challenging time. I can’t believe how quickly they’ve become middle aged adults. But I am constantly blessed that these are “my girls.”  Jen and Kim were with us for a wonderful Mother’s Day and we spent several days just enjoying being together.   

Thanks for your prayers, friends. God is answering. And I am grateful.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

(#1)The New Adventure

(#8) Recovery Seems the Longest

(#17) Past Time for an Update