(#20) December 2022 in Steve's Cancer Journey

After a long (too long) delay in writing about the Cancer Journey, I’ll give it a try. I had another CT scan this morning and I read the results this afternoon. Again, the scan shows no metastatic disease (ie. no cancer to be found). This is now, I believe, my 7th scan with no discernable cancer. I’m still in chemotherapy, coming to the end of a series and hoping to take a chemo-break.  They still don’t use that remission word around me. I don't really know why, but I think they want to be careful in their wording and remission doesn't really mean what a lot of us think it means.

I am so thankful for the prayers of you who are pray-ers and thankful to God for this extended time on planet earth. My hope is that you’ve been praying that God would accomplish whatever plan he has, whether it means (as the Apostle Paul said) “to depart and be with Christ,” or “to go on living in the body.” The first of those (to be with Jesus) he said is “better by far,” but he said “remaining in the body” is probably “more necessary.” Why? There was more to do - his work was not finished. (See Philippians 1:19ff).  Right in the middle of that passage is my mother’s life verse (she even turned into her computer password). Vs 21 “For me to live is Christ and to die is gain.”

As my Mom neared the end of her life’s journey (at 94), it got really hard and painful and lonely. She would say, “Oh, I wish the Lord would let me come home.” We would encourage her, “Mom, Jesus has more for you to do here.” And she would rally a smile and pledge to speak words of encouragement for the nurses and aids – the administrators and staff where she lived. That work didn’t seem like a lot after spending her adult years as pastor’s wife, Sunday School teacher and church organist. In college, she was training for and had hopes of being a missionary. Speaking kindly and appreciatively didn’t seem like much, but it was God’s assignment for those days. And wow! Did the staff ever warmly respond to  her words and her smile.

My best friend and I talk regularly about this prayer.  “Father God, help me to fully accomplish the purpose for my life and the reason you put me on planet earth. Don’t let me miss it. Make it so plain and clear, that each day, I will know what you want me to do and what you want me to avoid.” We pray for each other to be able to discern what piece of our purpose is today’s assignment. Life is not long. None of us has too much. We are both 74, and wonder with regularity, what our passing will involve. We’ve each had our health issues. So do I have 10 days or 10 years? I know I don’t have 10 decades. But while I’m here, there’s a purpose in each day, a reason why I’m breathing and I want to find it.

After many trips to share God's love in Ukraine, I'm still wearing this shirt.
After many ministry trips into Ukraine,
I'm still wearing the shirt.

One of the first Bible verses I memorized (maybe at Mom’s encouragement) was Philippians 1:21 “For me to live is Christ and to die is gain.” I’m on assignment here until the day God calls me home.

By the way, if you're feeling the need to become more intentional and satisfied with your life here, or the need to become confident about where you'll spend eternity, I'd love to interact. I'd love to point you to the scriptures that are answers for your need. Shoot me a note <pastorstevemn@gmail.com> or text 763.843.7982.     

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

(#1)The New Adventure

(#8) Recovery Seems the Longest

(#17) Past Time for an Update